There’s a million reasons to love Encinitas and San Diego. Probably one of the biggest reasons is the ocean.
Many people don’t know that our own ocean is home to California spiny lobster.
Our own RDA, Rachelle, recently got her California Spiny Lobster license, so I put her in contact with our web site and marketing guru, Brian – who has been diving for lobster for many years. They went diving the next day!
Brian told me that while they had a fun day and that they “probably saw 200 shorts”, there were no “keepers”… the lobster you see in the photo above is undersized and was released after measuring.
If you want to try diving for lobster, you’ll need:
- A California fishing license with an ocean sport stamp
- A Lobster report card, which can be purchased along with your license
- A lobster gauge – must be carried with you at all times while you dive
- An understanding of the Fish and Wildlife regulations. This includes how to properly measure a lobster, and what areas of Encinitas and Cardiff are off-limits due to being Marine Life Protected Areas (MLPA)
- Basic diving gear (mask, snorkel, wetsuit, gloves, fins, bag, torch, weight belt)